Sunday, August 3, 2014

Outdoor Adventures

Hello there August, what happened to July??

Since I can't 'push' myself in exercise, I've been coming up with other ways to get in exercise. Of course I've been walking around my neighborhood, but I've also been trying to come up with more exciting avenues.
Hiking was the first adventure:



Please ignore my wet hair and no mascara!
I felt like a bad West Virginian. I've lived near some of the best trails in Fayette County, yet had never been on them. My friend remedied that a couple of weekends ago! I also tested out my Camel Back water pack. I liked it a lot, couldn't even feel it, but I still need to test it out on running.The trail we chose led to a shut down Coal Mines. It was really pretty and had the bonus of neat history.
Kilmoor Miner's Trail


There is a set of a billion stairs that we will have to go back and conquer when my legs are stronger!

That same day, due to a good sale, I bought this....
On the lake after I bought it.
I'm so excited! I've been wanting one since I did a Run, Row, Ride race. I took it out for over 2 miles the first time and that was after hiking 4.5 miles! Not too shabby. Unfortunately, it's been unseasonably cool and rainy lately, so I haven't had another chance to take it out. But I will soon darn it!

The next weekend I had a camping adventure. I haven't been camping since...too long to remember. My sister decided a while ago to go and it turned out to just me, her and her two kids. We were afraid of not being able to put up the tent or able to make a fire, but we did! We were proud!






We even took my niece and nephew for their first kayak adventure. I didn't bring mine, so we rented some.





We took a tram up into the mountains, saw various waterfalls, enjoyed some s'mores, went swimming, and even did a little fishing. We saw lots of wildlife too, including a raccoon that was trying to steal our food and come into our tent on Friday night! Little rascal. We had a great time, until it started storming Saturday around midnight or so. Turns out there was a small hole at the bottom of our tent. My sister got completely soaked. We decided to just get up get everything together and go home. We were out of there by 6:30 am.

Then today included a small kickball tournament, for Make a Wish Foundation through Starbucks. It was fun. I participated in two games. We lost of course, haha. Then I ran home as part of day three of Couch to 5K, that I started this past week. The plan is below. I did day 1 as is and then day 2 and 3 I ran for one and then walked for one for twenty minutes. I've continued getting my dog to come with me. She's been doing well. It's a little weird to run with her and the leash, but I hopefully I'll get used to it! I'll update as I get further along with my running. This post is long enough!
Day 1 of C25K Done!


Week Workout 1 Workout 2 Workout 3
1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
4 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
5 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
  • Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.
6 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 22 minutes) with no walking.
7 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
8 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
9 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes). The final workout! Congratulations! Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment