Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Trying to Train Smarter

I cannot say this has been the best summer of my life. Definitely not. Today my family laid to rest a wonderful lady, my grandmother Kathy. It was horribly sad. Her passing was a shock and hard on everyone that knew her.

I don't really want to go into more detail about that, but I thought writing, no matter the subject is a great tool to get your mind on other things.

I think I have to face the fact that my back is not getting better. I have good days, great days, and some awful days. I broke down and called the doctor for an appointment, which is this coming Tuesday. Though I didn't get to try it for very long due to the family emergency. I was going to try training primarily on the treadmill and elliptical while doing the strength training machines at the gym.

That was working out okay and I definitely felt better running on the treadmill, but the bulging disc just keeps coming back. I admit, I had slacked on some of the stretching, but I got back into it last week and this week. Still, I have pain. I have also come to realize that the shoes that I wear during the day, have a big effect on if I'm going to hurt later that day. Flats with no support or anything with a hint of a lift are a definite no right now. I wore a wedge type of dress shoe yesterday and could hardly walk by the end of the day. Ugh! I should not be having these issues. I'm only 29!

But anyway, I have decided to drop down to the 5K from the Beckley Half Marathon that I was supposed to do on September 29th, if I can run at all that is. I also have the Rockey Boys 10K on October 3rd and the Babcock 15K trail run, Stick and Stones, on October 10th. I really hope I can do these. Honestly, I'm to the point I hope I can just get a steroid shot in my back and get back to normal asap! I am so very very over being in pain and feeling weak. I have no idea if I can do any of these runs, but I'm really hoping so! I know I'm not ready for a half and I'm hoping if I can get this resolved in a timely manner that I won't completely fail on Stick and Stones. Though, let's be honest, I'll be walking half of it anyway. It has over 1005 feet of elevation! (For some reason I can't put the elevation chart on here). I've already had to not go to a 5K that my Active Southern WV Training Team participated in. I was going to sign up the day of the race. I woke up that day and was in lots of pain. I had planned on doing the race and then going to our State Fair. I ended up on the coach most of the day with an ice pack on my back. Fun, fun. But I just knew if I had pushed it and tried to run, I would not have made it and been in more sever pain. Once it gets bad I can hardly walk.

Monday, all I did was the elliptical and then the strength training machines. Today was the funeral, so I didn't exercise. Tomorrow, depending on how I feel, I would like to get in a small treadmill run and then strength training, then alternate with elliptical and treadmill for the rest of the week. I know I have to keep trying though. The day I give up on exercise is the day my body will just go downhill all the more quickly. I also have to try to reign my weight back in. The gain is definitely not helping my back and I've definitely been emotionally eating the past few days. Exercising on a regular basis will help with the emotional side, so I just have to get back to my routine.

Send good vibes my way that I can figure something out with the doctor next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment