Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Getting There

I wanted to wait to write another post until I had a real update for my back, for my mental state, for my food intake, good or bad. And here it is:

Bulging Discs in my back:

I had the steroid/ numbing agent shots on December 1st and December 15th. The first shot helped exactly zero. The second shot did help some. However, the biggest help has been the new physical therapist. The one I went to the at the beginning of the summer felt like a personal trainer of sorts. The new one actually felt like what I had in my head that a physical therapist should be. I had my last appointment this past Thursday. After about 8 weeks of physical therapy I'm getting stronger and feeling better. I still have some bad days, like after I decided to shovel heavy snow yesterday. Stretching really helps though. I have to work on getting my hips stronger. I couldn't believe how week my hips are when I have to lift my legs to the side. See the move on the far left.

I'm also doing a lot of hip thrusts, butt squeezes, and band workouts, haha.

Mental State:

Doing much better. I've been able to get to running more on a regular basis, which helps my moods immensely. I've had some lazy days, it is winter after all, but I've had the energy and the outlook enough to make myself get up and do something. That's not as easy when you're feeling down. I still can't wait until it's warm outside and sunny later in the day! I did venture out on Saturday on the coldest day I've ever tried to run in. It was only 14 degrees Fahrenheit! Of course, as soon as I got out there I thought it was a big mistake, haha. But after I got going and started running it really wasn't bad at all. It wasn't windy which made it very tolerable. The rail trail that I was running on was also pretty clear. Of course, I had to take my Lab/ German Shepherd mix since that trail is sketchy as all get out. I've probably mentioned it before, but it runs through town and unfortunately a lot of drugs and muggers cross it. It's really the only flat place to run that isn't far away. I don't want to have to drive far right now, because I'm only up to 2.5 miles so it wouldn't be worth it. We survived though!






Weight and Food Intake:

Weight hasn't budged despite the fact that I've been doing rather well in keeping track of my calories. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm trying not to let it stress me out. I'm guessing that the further along I get with my running the more probable my weight will drop. My goal is around 1600 calories a day and I usually get right around it. I usually have one day that I'll go beyond that, but not more than 2000 calories. I'm also secretly hoping with all the ab exercises I have to do will get my stomach tighter over time ;)

I haven't signed up for any races yet and there is a reason. I really want to, but I don't want to force myself to over run and end up hurting myself. I want to make sure I get a good base of at least a 10k and then I'll think about races I might want to do. For now though, the goal is to keep getting a stronger core and to build up a comfortable base. I would like to be running comfortably 4-5 times a week with 3-4 days of strength training with stretching everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment