Friday, October 14, 2016

In 7 Months

I haven't blogged in about 7 months! I suppose that I just didn't feel worthy of writing anything down, since I haven't been doing much and having such a hard time with my health.

But I've been trying to turn myself around and feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

I did have a few 'big' things happen this summer:

1. Um I got Married!!


It was a small get together. We got married on the steps of my great grandfather's church. We had our close friends and family there. Then we simply went to one of our favorite restaurants, had a wonderful meal and cake that his sister made for us. It was perfect!

We wanted  a small wedding so that we could have a nice honeymoon.

Hello, Alaska!




We went to Fairbanks, Denali National Park, Anchorage, and the Prince William Sound. It was all gorgeous. We had a blast! I'd love to go back and do some hiking. We only had about a week, so we were limited on what we could see. I absolutely loved it though!



2. I've been running, kind of.

It has been slow going. My back is still not right which makes running correctly kind of hard. I have bulging discs which over the summer I had my nerves burned (it's called radiofrequency ablation) to help with the pain. It helped some, but I still have pain. I'm trying though. I used Runs For Cookies training plan to get back up to three miles. It's pretty damn humbling, when you were used to running half marathons and now I'm not sure I can do the 5k I have on schedule for tomorrow. It's damn frustrating!

But I have to work slowly. I have to strengthen my core so that my whole body is stronger and my back won't be so week.

I am excited for the 5k in a way though. It's the inaugural race for a big event that we have in our area. It's the Bridge Day 5k.
(This picture is from their website.) But I get to run across that bridge and be among the first to do so! The race supports Active Southern WV, which is an organization whose mission is to make our communities in this area more active and healthier. Which is awesome!

I just hope I don't die!

Depending on how this goes, I'll start either increasing my mileage or just work on getting stronger and better at running this distance. We'll see.

3. I've began a new nutrition plan/class. It's with the popular Swim Bike Mom group, called Swim Bike Fuel. I am not a mother, but its great for people that are/want to be active and need help nutritionally to fuel themselves.

It began on October 1st and it has been eye opening to say the least. I've learned so much already about added sugars in our food, artificial sweeteners (goodbye Diet Coke!), and what's best for me.

It's a six week course, so I still have a ways to go, but I'm learning. I've already implemented quite a few of the lessons, such as giving up Diet soda, cutting back on the added sugar in my food, and planning when I want to have a treat and when I need to pass. And water! I've been drinking so much water! Most days now I've been consuming more than 100 ounces of water per day. Which is crazy to me. I've never been good about drinking this much. I've also never had to pee so much in my life!

Next step is working on getting more green veggies in my life.

I've definitely been having withdraw from the sugar and artificial sweetener. My head hurt and sometimes I feel extremely tired, but I know it's from years of feeding my body unhealthy foods. I'm really happy I made the commitment to eat healthier. I'm not going to be perfect at it, but it feels good to be trying. It's also really nice to have a group to lean on and to learn from. Because I have been getting some harsh/funny looks and comments when I tell people that I'm cutting back on certain foods.


There will be more adventures in my future, I'll just have to take it somewhat slower for now.

Walking with Mattie and my family at Babcock State Park

Part of the Appalachian Trail, WV

Appalachian Trail

You never know what you'll see when you go outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment