Wednesday, June 4, 2014

National Running Day

The running world is on fire for National Running Day! Are you running today? Taking those first scary steps? Wondering if the world is going to judge you for 'pretending' to be a runner, when really you can't run for more than thirty seconds (and yes running is a loose term)?
My badge, to make one go here.


That's how my first steps felt. I prayed that people wouldn't see me or if they did see that I didn't look like a fool who didn't know what I was doing.

And now, two and half years later, I love running. It has changed my life.


I also miss it. I am not magically better yet. The initial consensus so far is that I have polymyositis. More information Here. And I agree. My symptoms fit pretty closely now.  Its basically the same thing I had as a kid, with just a few variations.

Basically my body is fighting my muscles instead of healing them. I have weakness, I get tired easily, trouble swallowing (from weak esophagus muscles), and it's moved into my legs as well as my arms.
I don't know everything quite yet, but I think it might be something I fight on and off for the rest of my life. Right now I am on 60mg of Prednisone. I don't know if I will have to take additional medications. I still have to discuss a plan of action with the rheumatologist.

BUT! I am making some improvements. I felt well enough Sunday and Monday to try walking and then running for thirty seconds and then walking for one minute, for twenty minutes. I don't think it was very wise to do two days in a row, because I hurt a lot yesterday, but I was just so excited to be able to do something.
It's a start.
I'm starting over. And it's going to be a slow process, but I'm not going to let my body rule my life. I'll find out over time what my limits are, but right now, I can start.

I've sent an email requesting to volunteer for a triathlon on Father's Day weekend. I haven't heard anything yet, but I thought it would be fun to volunteer since I'm out of commission. I'll update more, if I hear anything.

I also have the Biggest Loser Run/Walk in Charleston, WV on the 28th. I switched from the half to the 5K. Obviously, there is no way I can do a half marathon at this point. I really hope I can do the 5K. I know lots of walking will be involved, but it's nice having a 5K to work towards. Hopefully my body will let me get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment