Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fast and Furriest

Let's see. My life just seems busy every night. It's full of either exercise, cleaning (blah), packing for something or another, or some activity. First, since it's exercise related, I'll recount my first race ever as a spectator.

On Saturday, I joined my lovely sister, who is the community coordinator (or something like that) for the Starbucks she works at to volunteer at a local race. This was a charity 5K run./ 1 mile walk for the Raleigh County Humane Society, called the Fast and Furriest 5K. I was hoping to see lots of puppies and I was not disappointed!
This would be a roller derby team that was promoting their sport. Super cool.

Everyone getting ready for the race to start.

Obviously had to bring a Chai tea, we were representing Starbucks after all.

We had a little stand where we set up coffee and iced coffee. My sister and I agreed that next year, iced tea, coffee, and water would be a better decision. Not too many runners want coffee right before a race ;)
Then we also got to time the walkers. I was not very good at this! We were doing fine until they all came at once and I'm pretty sure I forgot to write someone's time down. Oops. This was the first year that the Humane Society put on the race. In my opinion, they did a good job. They didn't have chip timing, but the race is still small, so I don't think it will be an issue unless it grows. For the first time though the turn out was pretty good. They had over 80 to preregister and then over 40 people registered that day.

The course sounded a little goofy, but I think the runners found the way alright. Everyone said it was well marked and I saw little signs on our way out with arrows and telling runners which way to go. There was one water station, which is all you really need for a 5K, but it must have been so hot on the pavement! The one problem I had is that it started at a soccer field where another event was going on and they didn't stop traffic, so the runners were dodging cars and some people didn't slow down very much. Even at the finish line where everyone was gathered, people still went fast! Hopefully this won't be an issue next year if they have it there again.


After spending Sunday at a reception for a friend who eloped, I headed back home. Monday, instead of going to the group run I decided to run right after work. It was a humid, miserable three miles at slightly over an 11 min. pace (ugh). But soon enough it was done with and gave me time to go home, shower, and head right back out of the door to go to a bicycle maintenance class that the multisport club was sponsoring. It was a little awkward. They all knew one another and I kind of just sat there until the class started. Sometimes it sucks being the newbie. The class itself was very helpful though. I wasn't the only one who didn't know all the technical terms, I now know what a cassette and derailleur is! I learned about proper cleaning and how to change my tires (=good to know). I won't get into details since it would probably be really boring, but I would recommend it to anyone who's getting into cycling.

I still need to join either a bike ride or swim, but dammit, they all seem so professional, I know I'll be left behind and that feeling kind of sucks. One of these days though I'll find the courage.

Tuesday I hit up the 6AM Spin class at the gym. I don't even know who I am anymore! Then after work I wanted to clean my bike since I learned the proper way and ended up not only cleaning my bike but our whole back porch. It took quite a few hours and I felt like I burned a million calories in the humidity.

Today I ran 5.24 miles on the treadmill. Still experiencing some knee pain, but it didn't hurt a lot on the treadmill. I'm going to take this as a good sign, since I have a 10K this weekend! I'm excited. It's the Biggest Loser run and I hope to meet some of the old contestants! This is also the race I'm doing in Erie, PA in August, except it will be the Half Marathon!

So I have to pack tomorrow for the race and for the week long beach trip with my family! Sooo excited! This is the first vacation with the whole family in a really long time. Better get going on my laundry!

PS. If you haven't, watch Extreme Makeover: Weightloss Edition. Really inspiring and interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment