Friday, August 23, 2013

WI #6 and New Race


Woot! 160.8. Down 1.2 pounds from last week! Sounds good to me!

It's been a good week. I chose healthy choices at a Chinese buffet that actually had a fresh grill. So I loaded my plate with fresh veggies and chicken, added a little garlic sauce and a guy grilled it all right in front of me. It was delicious!

I've also been enjoying my go to salad.

Strawberries, blueberries, avocado, spinach, and light raspberry vinaigrette. Yum!
I also made a big pot of cabbage roll soup type of mixture. It's not very pretty, so no pictures.
I made it with cabbage (duh), ground lean turkey, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. It's so filling and pretty good too!

Workouts have been okay:

Monday I did a short recovery run of 15 minutes then walked for 10 or so.
Tuesday I went for a 1 hour and 35 min. bike ride. It was nice, but it wore me out!
Wednesday, I didn't feel like running. So I did some strength exercises at home. I tried to do a plank for just a minute, but only got to 43 seconds before I started shaking so badly I had to stop. I went for another one to finish out the minute. Definitely will work on that! I used a little weight and did some lunges, plus sit ups and squats. Turned out pretty well I think.
Thursday I did a hill workout. I never do hill workouts. And this one HURT! Oh my, it left me out of breath and my legs shaking. I went for about 20-25 minutes and then walked around the neighborhood to get my legs to act normal, haha.

Things I learned this week I need to work on: hills and planks. Looks like I need to work on getting stronger!

Today will be a rest day since I have to work until 9pm, but tomorrow will involve a run at some point in the evening.

I didn't do my full on usual workouts this week, but I'm very proud of myself for doing something everyday. A lot of times I feel like just laying on the couch all evening and being a slug. If I get up and tell myself that I'll do something for just a little while, it helps motivate me. Sometimes I go longer than I think, but sometimes not, and that's okay. Movement is movement. It's really good for overall health if I just get in a little something!

I really do feel better mentally and physically. Even the little workouts help keep the blues away and I usually sleep better (except when we have major thunder storms like last night!). So this is my suggestion world, get up and do something that doesn't sound like torture to you and do it for just 15 or 20 minutes. It'll pay off in the end and could lead to some great workouts!

Also, I decided to sign up for the Wells Fargo Mountaineer Triathlon/Duathlon. The race is September 22nd. I decided to sign up for my first Duathlon. Mainly because I don't like swimming that much and it's only a month away. Since it's my first duathlon, I chose the sprint distance instead of the Olympic. I realized that I have plenty of years left to do the Olympic and there is no need to push myself too quickly. The sprint consists of 5K run (3.1 miles), 20K bike ride (12.4 miles) and another 5k run. I'm pretty sure I can do it, but it'll still be a challenging race. I've never run that long with biking added in! Thankfully the course is pretty flat so the biking hopefully won't be so bad.

I need to get my bike checked out. It was making a couple of funny noises. It might just need bike grease on the chain though. 

I'm really looking forward to this race. I love incorporating running and biking into the challenge! I better start training!! Have a good weekend all!

P.S. Did I mention in my last week's race that I didn't walk hardly at all? I don't remember if I did and I'm too lazy to check, but I keep thinking about how I'm so proud of that. There was only a couple of water stations I walked through and one time to get a Cliff Chew out of my pack because it wouldn't come out. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment